Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Clean Gut update and after thoughts

Happy Tuesday all!
 
 
I just wanted to pop back in and chat about my Clean Gut  experience one last time.  You can read more about the reason I started this program here and a previous update here.  I officially "ended" the program a couple weeks ago, but in all honesty, I've kind of just keep going as I was.  I'm a bit more lenient on the weekends in what I will eat, but the only difference is that now, I'm make a conscious decision on what I will/wont eat. Whereas before, I would just eat things because I wanted to, if I was bored, or because I felt like I could - "oh I ran 10 miles, sure I'll eat that pan of brownies" or "sure I'll have bread and pasta and crackers because - carb loading!!".  I now make a conscious decision if I'm going to have gluten, dairy, sugar because I know how it effects me and makes me feel.  If I decide I'm fine with feeling a little crummy for the sake of hanging out with friends or some delicious pizza, then don't get in my way cause I'll demolish it

exhibit A from the weekend - Jake and I split a large pizza...I ate half of it...don't judge :)

But the biggest difference in this, is the fact that I feel so much less "guilty".  Before if I would have eaten that much pizza, even though yes I did run a lot that day, I would still feel bad about it.  But now, I eat it, enjoy it, and move on.  My mindset in regards to food has changed quite a bit, and knowing exactly how I feel when I eat certain things is enough now to keep me from them...most of the time :)

I still avoid dairy, gluten, and sugar during the week, and have kind of fallen into a pattern of allowing myself these things on the weekends if I choose.  Most of the time I still eat clean, because it makes me feel good, not because I feel like I have to.  I no longer feel the need to eat clean to "make up" for a weekend of junk, it's just become normal to me.

Don't get me wrong, it was tough at first, and I had my days where all I wanted was a bag of tortilla chips and queso for dinner and wash it down with a bag of Oreos, but I knew better, and knowing better got me to the point I'm at now.

There are so many things that have changed for me since I started this new way of eating, but the biggest one I've noticed is in my energy levels.  I used to always be tired/sluggish in the mornings, and again in the afternoons - which contributed largely to my lack of motivation which resulted in skipped workouts.  After changing things up, there are no more peaks and valleys in my energy.  It's at a constant all day.  I never feel that spike and crash like I did before.  It's like my body has just evened itself out, which feels great.  I never knew what it would feel like to be on an even level all day, and I honestly didn't notice it changed until I sat and thought about it.  The other big thing for me was that my skin has cleared up.  I used to break out every other week or so, and in these past 5 weeks I have noticed my skin is clearer and brighter.  Not great, but I don't stress out about breakouts anymore, and that makes me happy :)

Ok, before this gets any longer than it has to, I'll wrap it up.  If you have any interest in the Clean Gut book or program, feel free to comment or email me with questions.  I have so much more I could talk about but for the sake of keeping things short, I'll stop here.  This program has completely changed the way I look and think about food (In a good way!), and has made me feel so much better that I don't think I could go back to the way I was eating before, to much good has come of this to do that.




aaaaand with that I'm done rambling!  Have a great rest of the day friendlies!




1 comment:

  1. Its wonderful that you are so aware of the foods and what they do to your insides...not to mention the dedication and will power you have. Yikes! I need to work a little harder on changing my habits.. :-)
    p

    ReplyDelete